over 2 years ago
This is a recipe I did once when I was invited to a dinner party, and nearly forgot that the host wanted me to bring a sidedish. Needing to whip up something fast, I remembered from my days of working in our prepared foods department, how quick and easy couscous recipes were. I already had couscous in my cabinet, vegetables in the freezer, vegetalbe broth, and all of the spices that I needed on hand as well. The whole recipe took maybe about 20 minutes tops.
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar (optional)
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 packet frozen mixed vegetables (small package)
In a small to medium saucepan, saute mixed vegetables in the butter until vegetables are well cooked then set aside.
In a saucepan, combine broth, dried onion flakes, basil, black pepper, and garlic powder and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in couscous and agave with vegetables to liquid. Cover, and let stand for about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 261 calories
- 2g total fat
- 1g saturated fat
- 5mg cholesterol
- 322mg sodium
- 51g carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 3g sugar)
- 8g protein