about 1 year ago
I was asked by a customer if I could find a good recipe using black rice. It has become very popular the last two years, but I have never cooked with it until I found this recipe. It has a nice nutty flavor and goes well with beans.
- 1/2 cup black rice, like Forbidden Rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup 365 shelled frozen edamame
- 1/2 cup red lentils, soaked in cold water to cover for 2 or 3 hours and drained
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- Soy sauce to taste
- 3 tablespoons 365 Toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Combine the rice, water and salt to taste in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer 40 to 50 minutes, until all of the liquid in the pan has been absorbed by the rice.
Remove from the heat. Remove the lid, place a clean dish towel over the pan and return the lid. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook edamame beans, following the directions on the package.
In a medium bowl, toss together the rice, edamame, lentils, walnuts and cilantro. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the rice vinegar, lime juice, ginger, soy sauce, cayenne, sesame oil.
Toss with the salad and serve warm or cold.
- 148 calories
- 4g total fat
- 0g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 4mg sodium
- 23g carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 1g sugar)
- 6g protein