about 1 year ago
This is one of my very favorite food allergy friendly recipes. When I first started cooking without the Top 8 Allergens (milk, egg, wheat, soy, fish, shellfish, peanuts & treenuts) I felt my creations lacked flavor and pizzaz. After many experiments (and flavor disappointments!) I recognized the importance of using herbs & spices to boost flavors and nutritious vegetables. I tend to think of this dish as my “everything but the kitchen sink” style soup. My Minestrone is chock full of fantastic Italian herbs and spices~ it is also super healthy and full of fresh, nutritious vegetables!
- 2 tablespoons Organic Canola Oil
- 1 organic yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped- I use a combination of whatever I have on hand: portabello, crimini, shiitake
- 1 organic zucchini, diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel, crushed~ I crush my with the mortar & pestle for freshest flavor
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (I use Whole Foods Market 365 Vegetable Broth)
- 16 ounces can Organic Tomatoes with Italian Seasoning (I use Muir Glen brand)
- 16 ounces can Organic Pizza Sauce (I use Muir Glen brand)
- 3 sundried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped (I use Merrzzetti brand)
- 16 ounces can Organic Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, cut in chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 16 ounces package Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta- I use elbow noodles or spirals
- 1/2 lemon
Heat oil in large saucepan. Saute onions until transluscent. Add mushrooms & zucchini and saute approximately 5 minutes. Add spices and garlic, saute 2 minutes.
Gently add vegetable broth. Stir in to de-glaze pan. Add canned tomatoes and pizza sauce. Add sundried tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Add parsley and basil. Simmer 20 minutes.
While soup is simmering, cook pasta according to package directions. Be careful not to overcook! Drain and set aside.
Place 1/2 cup pasta in each bowl and ladle soup on top. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to each bowl of soup~ this brightens the flavors even more!
- 430 calories
- 9g total fat
- 1g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 1470mg sodium
- 78g carbohydrate (8g dietary fiber, 6g sugar)
- 12g protein